Going “green” is easy and fun. Once you realize that going organic will save you time and money, you will wonder why you thought those quick fix synthetic products were worth your time. Hire an Organic Landscaper in LA here!
The secret is in the soil. Let’s get started.
The first step to a healthy yard, is to test your soils PH level.
You can do this yourself for about $10 through your cooperative extension office.
Or you can buy your own testing equipment at a local garden shop or hardware store. Average costs start at $45.
Related UNCE Publications:
- Soil Testing Guide for Nevada Home Gardeners
- How to Take a Soil Sample
- How to Read a Soil Analysis Report
- Nevada’s Soils– Worth the Toil
- Nevada Soil Amendment Myths
Once you know your soils ph levels, you can then choose the right organic solution to improve the soils health.
Most lawns, flower beds, trees and landscapes need organic composting once or twice a year.
When a plant has a “pest” or problem, it usually is an indicator of poor health, or poor soil.
Often by applying one inch of organic top soil on top of your lawn in the spring, will be all the fertilizer you will need all year. After year 2 and 3, the soil will hold more water, nutrients and fend off natural pests naturally.
Companion planting is another great example of how to build the health of your soil. Comfrey is a wonderful plant that helps feed the soil. Planting comfrey under fruit trees help add nutrients to your harvest, improving taste and yield.
Have a weed in a hard to reach spot? Try these simple and organic solutions for a quick fix:
1. Use vinegar at the hottest time of the day. Weed will die in 1 – 3 days.
2. Pour boiling hot water from an electric tea kettle. Weed will die in 1 – 3 days. Use at hottest time of the day.
3. Use a weed whacker or hula hoe.
4. Bend over, pull up weed and throw into your compost pile.
5. Use a flame torch. Seriously, they sell these at Home Depot and other hardware stores. They are fun, safer than ingesting cancer cause weed killers and can take care of the weeds in rocks, sidewalks and driveway cracks in one day.
6. Plant a cover crop to keep the weeds out. Plant ground covers, flowers or an acidic ever green tree.
7. Lay down an inch or two of organic compost, hay or leaves.
Want a safe and organic fertilizer for your plants? Make an organic compost tea at home.
You can take a pillow case, fill it with plant materials, compost and organic soil. Then soak in a bucket of water for 2 – 3 days. Use that mixture on your trees and plants.
You can SUPER CHARGE your free organic compost tea like this man did in this video:
There are several free solutions as well as organic products you can buy at most garden shops.
Remember, to save the bees, you need to be healthy too. Round up is a known carcinogen and also is known as a major contributing factor for contributing to Parkinsons, ALS and blood cancers.
Did you know that pesticides build up in our bodies? Did you know that you pass those toxins down to your children and grandchildren? Often the affects of pesticides remain hidden and are passed down through the blood stream from parent to child.
Autism, ADHD, Cancer and a number of other serious health problems all share the same cause, toxins and pesticide exposure. Over 54% of children in the USA have at least one chronic illness.
When you know better, you can do better. Starting at home gives your family a much need break from the amount of toxins they fight off every day. Schools, playgrounds, parks, churches and neighbors use these toxic pesticides, pre emergents and synthetic fertilizers each day.
Get the pesticides out of your home and life. Give your children and their children a fighting chance.