Meeting with local park officials Tuesday Aug 26th 2014.
Coming up next for Bee Habitat, next week, we are meeting with the City of Reno and Washoe County park officials to discuss converting all public parks to a pesticide free park plan.
When? Aug 26th 2014 @ 1:30
Where? Washoe County Community Services Department @ 3101 Longley Lane, Reno Nevada
Who? City of Reno, Washoe County Park Officials & Bee Habitat Volunteers
Why? Discuss converting all public parks to pesticide free
What are we asking from Reno and Washoe county parks department?
We are asking for Pesticide Free Parks, Bee Habitats throughout the city and transparency in regards to what, where, who, why, when and how much does it cost (or who got paid how much) to treat with pesticides in Washoe County and City of Reno Nv.
1. We need to know what is being sprayed, where, why, when, by who and how much? this information needs to be public and shared between each department and the public online. can easily be added to an online map where the public and local authorities can better track the life of these chemicals in our water, land and public areas.
2. We need protected areas at city and county parks that are pesticide free. marked as such. this needs to be an ordinance and/or law.
3. Notification alert system: when a chemical is going to be used: we need to know when, why, where, who, how much? sent via email, text, phone call and/or with media outlets.
4. What date can we start phasing out pesticides? what park will be the first park we convert? how can this be an ordinance/law for Washoe County?
– current trees, shrubs, plants, bushes, flowers that are GMO and/or roundup ready in public areas.
– name of vendor they buy plants, chemicals, supplies from with yearly budget of department.
– how long have they used these pesticides? is their historical data online?
We must use BEE Safe plants as not all are safe.
As always, call anytime with questions.
All the best,
775 453 6120