Poison Hemlock Rash

By | February 14, 2018

What does a Poison Hemlock rash look like?

Some of the common symptoms of Poison Hemlock poisoning are :

  • Nausea
  • Confusion
  • Sweating
  • Shallow Breathing
  • Losing Consciousness

Poison Hemlock rash could start out as a lite red rash and expand to a large area that burns when exposed to sunlight. What are some of the common symptoms of a Poison Hemlock Rash?

  • Large welts
  • Burning sensation
  • Blisters
  • Burning Pain
  • Scalding like pain in severe cases

Poison Hemlock is a deadly toxic plant that can kill if ingested. Some children and sensitive people have reported severe nausea and faint feeling if exposed to Poison Hemlock when the temperature is over 80 to 90 degrees in the Summer months. These people were working out in their yards or hiking out in nature parks and over heated. They found themselves in a forest of Hemlock, unaware. Simply breathing in the fumes of this plant could over whelm a child or susceptible adult.


Weed Watch Special warnings

Wild parsnip plant parts contain a substance called psoralen, which can cause a condition known as “phytophotodermatitis.” This reaction occurs when plant juice gets on the skin and the skin is exposed to sunlight. The results are skin reddening, rash development, and in severe cases, blisters and burning or scalding type pain. Wild parsnip burns often occur in elongated spots or streaks. Dark red or brownish skin discoloration develops where the burn or blisters first appeared and can last for several months.

All parts of the poison hemlock plant are highly toxic to humans and animals and may result in death if ingested. Most of the recent cases of human poisoning have resulted from mistaking poison hemlock with edible species of the carrot family. Livestock poisoning usually occurs from the presence of poison hemlock in hay or when pastures are overgrazed and other sources of food have been depleted. cite: Poison Hemlock Rash

What does a forest of Poison Hemlock look like?

What can you do to remove Poison Hemlock from your lawn?

Step one – Put on gloves and wear a mask.

Step two – Bring large trash bags, shovel and a wheel barrel full of USDA certified organic compost and/or soil. *Important.

Step three – Hand pull smaller plants, careful to not spread more Poison Hemlock seeds. Immediately place inside large plastic bags. NEVER BURN POISON HEMLOCK AS THE FUMES ARE HIGHLY TOXIC TO WILDLIFE INCLUDING HUMANS.

Step four – Dig with your shovel as far as you can to reach most of the roots of the Poison Hemlock. Place dirt/soil, root and plant inside large plastic trash bags.

Step five – Dump large amounts of USDA Certified Organic Soil, Compost and other Biomass material over the complete area of where the Poison Hemlock was growing. The goal is to block out sunlight while restoring the biodiversity to the soil of the area. If you have standing water in this area, you may need to add more biomass and/or install a drain system. You must use certified organic soil and compost as regular bags of dirt will only further damage the soil of the area attracting more weeds.

Step six- You may also apply a layer of USDA Certified Organic hay on top of this area, then sprinkle native seeds of local grasses and other plants to take root in the area. This prevents recurrence of Poison Hemlock and other invasive species.

If you have acres of Poison Hemlock and other noxious weeds, it is highly recommended you work with a professional goat herder with experience in managing toxic weeds with specially trained goats. Learn more on goat weed management here: https://www.beyondpesticides.org/assets/media/documents/weeds/publications/Goat_weed_management.pdf


Why does Poison Hemlock grow in certain areas and not in others?

Hemlock grows on parts of land that are damaged and need recovery time to replenish soil health of an area. Damage from storms, flood and pesticide exposure can cause damage to the soil of the land. Weeds then can establish in an area. Weeds only grow in soils that have been disturbed by pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, construction and/or other injuries to the land.

7 thoughts on “Poison Hemlock Rash

  1. Patricia

    you never want to eat or work around poison hemlock in the summer time or when its a hot day. my dad ended up in the hospital for 2 days after burning a pile of it last summer.

  2. Jessie Burczyk

    I got what you mean,saved to fav, very decent site. This is the only site i could find that had truly organic and safe way to remove poison hemlock from an area. ty so much!

  3. Les Pietrafesa

    Poison hemlock is super tall at our park. over 8 feet so far. is there any safe use for the plant?

  4. Candace Galimi

    Awesome! Its in fact amazing information. Poison Hemlock is on the rise in our state as well. I guess Mother Nature has had enough of pesticides and synthetic fertilizers. Great work!

  5. Doyle Bianca

    Poison hemlock started growing at my sons school. I will share this with his teachers on how to safely remove and block it from gorwing back.

Leave a Reply